Re: make install bites...

Sherwood Botsford wrote:

> Ok, I've mislaid 12 hours worth of mail.   Didn't realize that make
> install was so thorough.
>
> I think I've picked up all the pieces.
>
> In my humble not-very-good-as-a-sysadmin opinion that make install needs a
> couple of improvments:
>
> 1. Since zmailer installs so many programs, I'd like an option
> 'make install-list' that would tell me exactly what it's going to
> go where.  Doing a make -n install is not trivial to interpret.
>
> 2. It's not clear from INSTALL how to keep zmailer from installing
> stuff into the /usr/local/bin.  It gives the impression that this
> stuff in installed into MAILBIN.
>
> 3. I'd like a way to install the binaries so that the tree was in place
> for trials, but NOT overwrite the existing mail programs.
> That is, I want router, and scheduler and sendmail and ... installed in
> /usr/local/zmailer/bin, but I don't want a link from /usr/lib/sendmail to
> /usr/local/zmailer/bin/sendmail
>
> 4. I'd like a way to *quickly* back out if things didn't work.
> Perhaps as part of the install we could have a pair of scripts,
> makelinks and unmakelinks
>
> Sherwood Botsford | "Go to father, she said, when I asked her to wed.
> Physics Dept      | She knew that I knew that her father was dead.
> U of Alberta      | She knew that I knew what a life he had led.
> Edmonton, AB,     | She knew that I knew what she meant when she said,
> T6G 2J1           | "Go to father."
> New address: sherwood@vega.math.ualberta.ca

A very simple approach that I use is to keep all of the zmailer
installation in its own tree: /usr/local/zmailer. The only files that
stick out from there are /etc/mail.conf and /etc/zmailer.conf and on
binaries side only sendmail and rmail. These four files don't change
much or at all.

When I bring the new code I move the /usr/local/zmailer to zmailer.old
and do a complete installation. The only thing left to do is to copy my
old contents of db from zmailer.old, create log subdirectory (make
install does not do it), and create link for router.cf.

To back out just move the old /usr/local/zmailer.old into zmailer.

To get all this happening I use the following configure options:

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/zmailer \
                --with-postoffice=/usr/local/zmailer/postoffice \
                --with-mailbox=/var/mail \
                --with-logdir=/usr/local/zmailer/log

This approach works with things like X11, kerberos, etc...

--
Peter Ziobrzynski, netMedia Technology Inc. <pzi@netmediatech.com>
204 Richmond St. #300, Toronto Ontario, Canada, M5V-1V6