make install bites...

Ok, I've mislaid 12 hours worth of mail.   Didn't realize that make
install was so thorough.

I think I've picked up all the pieces.

In my humble not-very-good-as-a-sysadmin opinion that make install needs a
couple of improvments:

1. Since zmailer installs so many programs, I'd like an option
'make install-list' that would tell me exactly what it's going to
go where.  Doing a make -n install is not trivial to interpret.

2. It's not clear from INSTALL how to keep zmailer from installing
stuff into the /usr/local/bin.  It gives the impression that this
stuff in installed into MAILBIN.

3. I'd like a way to install the binaries so that the tree was in place
for trials, but NOT overwrite the existing mail programs.
That is, I want router, and scheduler and sendmail and ... installed in
/usr/local/zmailer/bin, but I don't want a link from /usr/lib/sendmail to
/usr/local/zmailer/bin/sendmail

4. I'd like a way to *quickly* back out if things didn't work.
Perhaps as part of the install we could have a pair of scripts,
makelinks and unmakelinks

Sherwood Botsford | "Go to father, she said, when I asked her to wed.
Physics Dept      | She knew that I knew that her father was dead.
U of Alberta      | She knew that I knew what a life he had led.
Edmonton, AB,     | She knew that I knew what she meant when she said,
T6G 2J1		  | "Go to father."
New address: sherwood@vega.math.ualberta.ca