Re: _res, Bind4.9.4 and shared libraries.

[ On Wed, July 24, 1996 at 03:38:40 (-0400), Scott Ballantyne wrote: ]
> Subject: _res, Bind4.9.4 and shared libraries.
>
> Recently upgraded the OS here, and so decided to upgrade bind. The
> latest version of Bind has a wrinkle when you rebuild the shared
> libraries, it hides the '__res' variable name.

Yup, it's annoying, but given the limitations of the implementation I
don't think there's much that can be done about it.  Perhaps a different
name should have been used in 4.9.4, but it's a little late for that now
too.

Perhaps ripping the resolver right out of libc and making it a separate
library ala NetBSD et al would have been a better idea, but the only way
that would have worked would be if Sun had done it in the first place,
and then we'd still be stuck with a fixed size _res structure and no way
to change the interface without re-compiling everything that used it.

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734			VE3TCP			robohack!woods