Zmailer SMTP: Anal retentive or correct?

We have a few sites that get mail via UUCP, typically the uucp name is
foo and the domain name is foo.com or foo.org. Recently I've noticed
that some smtp receivers have been rejecting mail from these sites
because the name is not fully qualified. I grumbled, because I assumed
it was another revision to the ever imperfect sendmail.

However, tonight I had occasion to try to manually send one of these
pieces of mail (to parc.xerox.com), and guess what, it's a zmailer
site.

I can't believe this is the correct behavior - has this been added to
zmailer recently - our smtpserver certianly has *never* done this!

In any case, is there something I can do here as a hack to fix this
problem? My success rate in getting over worked admins to change what
looks like a working config to them is less than nil...

Thanks...
sdb
--
sdb@ssr.com