Re: Zmailer 2.99.27 & Gigo/2

On Thu, 23 May 1996, Radi Shourbaji wrote:

> I've been having a number of problems here ever since I replaced sendmail
> with zmailer 2.99.27.  I'm running Red Hat Linux 2.1 with a 1.2.13
> kernel.  The problems are as follows:
>
> 1) When sending mail via smtp to Gigo/2 on the OS2 machine, the message
>    intermittently gets sent 2 or more times.  And worse yet, if one of
>    the recipients is the local zmail machine, it will sometimes send them
>    over, and over again!

  Sounds like Zmailer is not getting the acknowledge to the "."
(end-of-message), so it tries to send again, even though Gigo has the
entire text of message.  Check the smtp transaction logs and see
what is happening.

> 2) Worse yet, it seems when messages are arriving from multiple sources
>    the TO: headers are getting switched.  i.e. messages sent to person-a
>    get sent to person-b, and worst yet messages sent to list-a are getting
>    sent to list-b.  Or from person-a to list-b, etc...  This is a REAL
>    big concern.

  Never seen this.  Not sure I understand what you mean by "arriving from
multiple sources".

> 3) Zmail seems to be having trouble sending messages to some systems.  Even
>    though sendmail was able to send them without difficulty.   The messages
>    are getting stuck in the queue, as zmail tries repeatedly to send them
>    until they eventually reach their expiration date.

  Zmailer and Zmail are two different products.  If use them
interchangably, you will confuse some people.

  Check the smtp transaction logs and see what is happening.  This could
be related to #1, if TCP/IP connections are flakly.

> 4) Despite the fact I configured Zmailer to use a single router task, it
>    seems to be starting multiple routers.  And worse, they seem to stay
>    around for a very long time.

  Are they zombies?  If so, this is some kind of portability problem with
some os'es.

> Anyway, I'm hoping someone on either of the lists this message is
> addressed to may have some idea what is causing these problems!
>
> Radi

Tom