Re: Zmailer 2.2 SMTP sender interpretation of a 552 reply

I disagree...

If the remote system is reporting a temporary lack of storage it should return
"452" (as ZMailer's smtpserver does).

If the remote system returns 552, it is (or should be) attempting to tell you
that the size of the message is such that it will *never* be accepted, and you
shouldn't try again without human intervention (that's what all 5xy codes
mean).    I believe that AOL returns "552" when an incoming message exceeds
their fixed limit.

The protocol needs to have a way to express this difference, and it seems like
the wrong thing to do to try and second guess the situation.

I fixed my smtp agent to return mail on 552 errors many years ago.

					 \nick