Re: Various Zmailer Problems

> Heya...
>
> I'll try to smash all of this into one message ;-)
> 1) It seems that the mailq command no longer works.
>
> puck:~> mailq -s
> 0 entries in router queue: idle
> 558 messages in transport queue: working
> Transport queue is empty
>
> It's quite obviously lying.  When I try telnetting to localhost:174, it looks
> good until...
>
> 9:      193863-267      1; 15383        #(activation pending, thread pid=19713 expected, expires in 2d13h, tries=0)
> 10:     193863-267      1; 13009        #(running now, pid=20042 touched, expires in 2d13h, tries=0)
> 11:     193866-15924    1; 163  #(retry in 1m8s, expires in 2d22h,Connection closed by foreign host.
>
> Notice where the connection closes.

	Yes, a buried problem at the scheduler queue reporter,
	I should release my current sources without rewritten
	router, it seems..  Latter today.
	( <<-- rewrite: 'everything broken', perhaps I need to
	 have a look at those embedded Schemes, and consider
	 (how horrible) abandoning SH-like language in favour
	 of real LISP.. )

> 2) aliases file pipes don't work with @'s
>
> If I have an aliases entry that looks like this:
>
> foobar: "|/usr/local/bin/foobar foobar@puck.nether.net"
>
> It returns a user unknown error.  However, if I remove the @, it works fine.
> I've tried this multiple times.  Escaping the @ with \ doesn't work.  I've
> tried to dig through the docs for a reason, but can't find anything :-/
>
> A few of my scripts need the @ capability, though.  Any ideas?

	I have a vague feeling of it being a focusing, and/or
	canonicalization problem.

> 3) Logging
>
> Is there any way to get more information logged on a certain message, like
> message size, in the scheduler statistics file?  One of the things we miss
> from sendmail is being able to analyze the average message size, etc.

	It actually goes into the router logs.
	The scheduler can produce also a statistics log, see "-l" option
	at it.  (man-page does not list it, see the source..)

> 4) maxchannel/maxring
>
> I'm rather confused about maxchannel and maxring.  What are they used for?
> What's the difference?  What do they do?

	This is from the scheduler parametrization model.

	Channels are those of  "smtp", "local", "usenet", etc.

	"maxchannel" says that for each kind of channel -- say, for
	all SMTP's for example -- system can have N transporters
	active at any given time.

	"maxring" applies to a subset of some channel's content,
	like for   smtp/*.com  is a ring of all SMTP jobs to *.com
	sites.

	I call it as a "ring" due to the internal datastructures
	at the scheduler :-)  (And the way how idle processes are
	moved from one completed target to another..)

	The "maxchannel" can be smaller than the sum of all
	"maxring"s under it, I usually use something like:
		smtp/*.XX  maxchannel=100 maxring=20
	and then I have some 20 such defines..   At first the
	global smtp-maximum comes up, but soon after things will
	quiet down to "ring limits" when most rings dry up enough.

	/Matti Aarnio <mea@nic.funet.fi> <mea@utu.fi>