Re: Bounce problems

On Wed, 24 Jan 1996, Tom Samplonius wrote:

> > Date: Thu, 25 Jan 1996 09:34:05 +1100 (EST)
> > From: Swann Computers <swanncom@J>
> > To: Greg Omond <flacco@werple.mira.net.au>
> > Subject: test
> >
> > [msg omitted..]
> > -- end quote
> >
> > Note the From: line in the "included message" section.
>
>   Does "J" appear in your config files anywhere?  In "localnames"?

Nope. And it isn't always 'J'. On a previous bounce today it was the
string "`a".

> > Another problem - not a new one - I've been trying to track down
> > is related to an empty FROM:<> in an smtp send resulting from a
> > bounce, but I haven't had a chance to look at it yet. (Is an empty
> > FROM:<> valid in SMTP? If so, then this is most likely a problem
> > with the remote system).
>
> Not only is <> valid, but it is REQUIRED as the MAIL FROM parameter on
> bounced messages.

Sorry, I probably wasn't being clear enough. That is literally "FROM:<>"
(actually "MAIL From:<>"), as in the address between the darts is an empty
string. It only seems to be passed when a message is bounced.

Actually, from reading the smtp log that's precisely when it is used,
which I assume is to prevent a 'bounce' from being bounced? If so, is this
ok so far as std10 goes?  I suspect it is although it is not stated
specifically that I can find - I'm only having problems with it with one
particular server which runs on another machine here, so that's easily
fixed.

Cheers,
David

PS: Jason, you might take note of any response - it is your smtp server
that returns "501 Syntax error in argument". :-)