upgrading from 2.2 e6 to 2.99.20

I've just upgraded from 2.2e6 to Matti's 2.99.20. I'm still using the
old style scheduler and I have a couple of questions:

Too late I read the advice in the upgrade document about letting the
queue drain before upgrading. The existing messages are still linked
into the scheduler directory, which I guess I can remove now, but do I
need to do something to get them outta here?  (I've appended the
output of mailq -svv at the end)

The main reason I upgraded was to take advantage of the new list
processing features. We have mailing lists here with over 1000 names
on it, and we were having serious problems with the old router. It's
not clear what I have to do? Do I compile the utils/listexpand.c
program and modify the .cf files?

Also not clear is why the smtp transport agent wants to put it's log
file in /var/log/mail/smtp, instead of /var/log like everybody else.

Thanks in advance,
Scott
--
sdb@ssr.com

------------------------ mailq -svv output ----------------------

1 entry in router queue: processing
4 messages in transport queue: working
hold/ns:uunorth.north.net/cname:
        36141(3):       (waiting for channel slot, expires in 1d6h)
          id    <95Oct27.021058edt.36107(3)@redhotmomma.ssr.com>, 2201 bytes, ae 1d17h
          from  <@redhotmomma.ssr.com:welcome-randi-hotline-owner@ssr.com>
          to    dmytrik@mail.north.net
        36107(3):       (running now, expires in 1d7h)
          id    <95Oct27.021249edt.36154(1)@redhotmomma.ssr.com>, 3713 bytes, ae 1d16h
          from  broadcast-randi-hotline-owner
          to    dmytrik@mail.north.net
        36154(3):       (running now, expires in 2d2h)
          id    <95Oct27.200501edt.36157(2)@redhotmomma.ssr.com>, 3558 bytes, ae 21h36m
          from  broadcast-randi-hotline-owner
          to    dmytrik@mail.north.net
hold/ns:atomiccafe.com/cname:
        36107(3):       try again (retry in 7m22s, expires in 1d7h)
          id    <95Oct27.021249edt.36154(1)@redhotmomma.ssr.com>, 3713 bytes, ae 1d16h
          from  broadcast-randi-hotline-owner
          to    scott.laroche@atomiccafe.com
hold/ns:atomiccafe.com./a:
        36154(3):       (running now, expires in 2d2h)
          id    <95Oct27.200501edt.36157(2)@redhotmomma.ssr.com>, 3558 bytes, ae 21h36m
          from  broadcast-randi-hotline-owner
          to    scott.laroche@atomiccafe.com
smtp/p10.ams.wpafb.af.mil:
        36150(2):       (waiting for host slot, expires in 18h4m25s)
          id    <95Oct26.122842edt.36150(2)@redhotmomma.ssr.com>, 2705 bytes, ae 2d5h
          from  broadcast-randi-hotline-owner
          to    KEPESBR@p10.ams.wpafb.af.mil
        36107(3):       (running now, expires in 1d7h)
          id    <95Oct27.021249edt.36154(1)@redhotmomma.ssr.com>, 3713 bytes, ae 1d16h
          from  broadcast-randi-hotline-owner
          to    KEPESBR@p10.ams.wpafb.af.mil
        36154(3):       (running now, expires in 2d2h)
          id    <95Oct27.200501edt.36157(2)@redhotmomma.ssr.com>, 3558 bytes, ae 21h36m
          from  broadcast-randi-hotline-owner
          to    KEPESBR@p10.ams.wpafb.af.mil
smtp/freenet.vancouver.bc.ca:
        36154(3):       (running now, expires in 2d2h)
          id    <95Oct27.200501edt.36157(2)@redhotmomma.ssr.com>, 3558 bytes, ae 21h36m
          from  broadcast-randi-hotline-owner
          to    kick@freenet.vancouver.bc.ca
smtp/cam.nist.gov: