Re: YOUR OPINION SOUGHT

>         I have also been tinkering with  "MIME-2", that is, mechanisms
>         to add translations of 8-bit chars in email headers to "MIME-2"
>         encoded words.
> ................... 8< ...... stuff deleted ...... 8< .................
>
> 	YOUR OPINION SOUGHT:
> 		Right now that "MIME-2" processing is involuntary,
> 	        that is, there is NO option to disable it.
>
> 		Should there be something, and if yes, what ?
>
> 		A thing that is likely to survive is to send "Subject:"
> 		in plain 8-bit, but if we feed personal names in coded
> 		words, and receiver handles them, is there any need ?
>
> 		Also, If we can get something like LC_CTYPE from user
> 		via  /usr/lib/sendmail  into mailer's knowledge, how
> 		should the knowledge be used ?  I would get from there
> 		instead of "UNKNOWN-8BIT", either "iso_8859_1" (Linux, Sunos),
> 		or "fi_FI.ISO8859-1" (OSF/1), neither of which are valid
> 		charsets in the sense of MIME specs..
>
> 	/Matti Aarnio <mea@nic.funet.fi>

I had no opinion on this subject before my site experienced the problem.
Now I think that UNKNOWN-8BIT is acceptable but the best solution
I can imagine would be an config file option allowing to specify
what code can we expect from which direction.

The problem in my case is even worse since in my country
several encoding schemes are in use and it is hard to enforce
any standarization :(

	Jerzy

Jerzy Sobczyk              ____________ ___     Institute of Control and
J.Sobczyk@ia.pw.edu.pl    /  /     |  |/  _\    Computation Engineering,