Re: Is ASCII 0 valid in a message body?

> This line is from an "inbox" mail file (wherever "mailbox" delivers mail)
>
> fax:  55 5 5555555From coombs.anu.edu.au!owner-pacific-islands-l Sun Jul 23...
>                  ^^
> Note how the message from coombs.anu.edu.au starts on the same line as the
> end of the previous message.  I'm guessing a NUL character (ASCII 0) was
> at the end of the previous message, which in UNIX means end of input/file/etc.
> This often happens with mail coming from auckland.ac.nz and sent with Pegasus
> Mail/Mac.  It causes most mail user agents (Pine, MM) to misparse the mail file
> and display two messages as one, or sometimes skip all messages after that
> altogether.

	You don't say which version of ZMailer you are running ?

> Questions:
>
> 1) What range of ASCII characters are allowed in the body of a message
>    sent via SMTP?

	1-255 IF you use extended SMTP.  The use of zero is DANGEROUS,
	though legal, and many systems (most of them written in C) treat
	it as end-of-string...

	ZMailer should be able to handle it, though.

> 2) Has anyone else experienced this?  How are you handling it?

	I faintly recall something from years back, but I can't say
	what it was about.