Re: [root: Cleaning of Mail Queue]

On Fri, 23 Dec 1994 root@heidelberg-emh17.army.mil wrote:
> Is there an easy way (without screwing everything up) to go
> into /usr/adm and remove systems that are unreachable such as
> heidelberg-emh1.army.mil [constant major offender].
[...]
> smtp/heidelberg-emh1.army.mil:
> 	2354:	connect: Host is unreachable (waiting for host slot, expires in 2d6h)
> 	2356:
> 	2598:	connect: Host is unreachable (waiting for host slot, expires in 2d4h)
> 	2216/3:
> 	2935/3:	connect: Host is unreachable (waiting for host slot, expires in 2d3h)
> 	2949/3:	connect: Host is unreachable (retry in 35s, expires in 1d1h)
[...]

Am I missing something obvious here?  Why does this bother you?  It will
expire and get sent back to the sender.  If you remove it, you have committed
the sin of making a mail message disappear - i.e. not notifying the sender
that it was not delivered.

Shorten your expire time, use gangschedule and byhost, lengthen the retry
interval, etc.  You can do this on a per-host basis with
"smtp/host.name.do.main"  in the scheduler.conf file.  This is, IMHO, the
correct way to handle the problem.

-Andy

Andy Poling                              Internet: Andy.Poling@jhu.edu
UNIX Systems Programmer                  URL: http://jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu/~andy/
Homewood Academic Computing              Voice: (410)516-8096
Johns Hopkins University (Balto, MD)     UUCP: uunet!mimsy!jhunix!andy