Re: zmailer's parsing of quoted addresses

> One of our users recently rec'd the following rejected message:
>
> 	----- Transcript of session follows -----
> 	Connected to mail.aero.org:
> 	RCPT To:<lao::louis andrews@mts$.enet.dec.com>
> 	501-               ^
> 	501 Path data: Missing "@" from mailbox definition
> 	554 "lao::louis andrews"@mts$.enet.dec.com... Remote protocol error
> 	----- Unsent message follows -----
>
> when sending a message
>
> 	To: "lao::louis andrews"@mts$.enet.dec.com
>
> Shouldn't zmailer be able to parse that since the space is within
> quotes and just send the message to mts$.enet.dec.com?  Why the
> "remote protocol error" (I'm guessing it's the $ in the hostname)?

	Yes it should -- and my local copy does (but it does a lot
	of things that yours don't..  A dump coming up.. see below.)

	What might be the MTA where the sending was attempted ?

	That is, it reports the  SMTPSERVER's  complaint that illegal
	(non-quoted) address is tried to feed to it, but then it states
	below that "554 QUOTED_ADDRESS...  Remote protocol error"

	I have a feeling that the problem side is some  smail, or  sendmail...

> I don't think it's even getting as far as the router, but if it did,
> it still wouldn't work. The following script shows what the router does
> with that address (it does the same thing -- trys to send it to @lao --
> if I route something like this as well:
>
> 	 "lao::louis andrews"@mts.com
>
> so it doesn't appear to be the $ in the hostname that is messing up the
> routing).

	This is "a cake on a face" bug...

Remember that Zmailer in interactive mode has a SH-like shell, which
means that quotes are special characters, and they must be quoted !

Recently I rewrote large parts of the  .cf-scripts to make sure they
will always preserve quotes and dollars properly.

> Script started on Sat Jun 25 19:17:06 1994
> [41] router -i
> ZMailer router (2.2.m8 #123: Mon Apr  4 19:37:36 PDT 1994)
>   bien@zee:/home/src/zmailer-2.2.1-mea-940322/router
> Copyright 1992 Rayan S. Zachariassen
>
> z$ router "lao::louis andrews"@mts$.enet.dec.com
> <bien.interactive@aero.org>: address: lao::louis andrews@mts$.enet.dec.com
> (((error unresolvable 'louis andrews@mts$.enet.dec.com@lao' default_attributes)))

No wonder it blows, try:

	router  '"lao::louis andrews"@mts$.enet.dec.com'

> Is that really the correct way to parse an address like that?

	Yes :-)
	Of course it wasn't the way what USER expected...

> --Cheryl Bien
>   bien@aero.org

The dump:
	ftp.funet.fi:/pub/unix/mail/zmailer/zmailer-2.90-....tar.gz

	/Matti Aarnio	<mea@nic.funet.fi> <mea@utu.fi>