Re: zmailer problems / questions

On Fri, 29 Apr 1994, John Scharbe wrote:
> the router process has a huge memory leak that in the course of 24 hours
> uses all physical and swap memory.  I've already added swap and taken to
> restarting zmailer daily, but its not very pretty and we are still at
> real low volume.
>
> Question: Has any one seen this problem before and know an answer ?

I see this problem (SGI IRIX 4.0.4).  We run 5 router processes and only
some of them will bloat.  And it usually takes a couple of days to happen.
I have taken the same approach to working around it but it IS a problem.
I too am faced with setting up a huge mail machine and would like to use
ZMAILER but this memory problem has me concerned.

> Question: Is anyone interested in sharing their experience with using
> zmailer for very large volumnes ?

We currently pass about 1000-2000 SMTP, BITNET, UUCP and local messages
through ZMAILER on one of our general timesharing systems (3000-4000
accounts).  I'm looking at setting up a system this summer with
20,000-50,000 accounts and significant mail volume (campus-wide mail system).

-Andy

Andy Poling                              Internet: andy@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu
UNIX Systems Programmer                  Bitnet: ANDY@JHUNIX
Homewood Academic Computing              Voice: (410)516-8096
Johns Hopkins University                 UUCP: uunet!mimsy!jhunix!andy