mailing to node.bitnet with mea 940322

I have zmailer-2.2.1-mea-940322 up and running and have run into something
which I can't figure out why it is done in the way it is.

I have a routes file with an entry of:

	.bitnet		smtp!ksuvm.ksu.edu

I figured this would route all mail to bitnet nodes through our mainframe,
which is on bitnet.  However, mail to ksuvm.bitnet failed to resolve.  I
finally tracked the problem down to the rrouter.cf file.  The line that
caused the problem was in the following section.

        sift "$address" in
        (.*)<@(.+)>(.*)
#log "neighbourg test: domain: \2, addr: $address"
                address="\1@\2\3"

                if [ x$seenbitnet = xtrue ]; then
                        address="\1@\2.bitnet"
                fi

                for method in $protocols
                do
                        tmp=$(${method}_neighbour "\2" "$address" $A) &&
                                return $tmp
                done

Specifically the tmp= line.  It was doing a routes lookup for ksuvm
instead of ksuvm.bitnet, even though it had figured out that
ksuvm.bitnet was the address it was wanting to send to.  To make it
do what I wanted I had to make the following patch to rrouter.cf:

*** /tmp/T0a11679	Mon Apr  4 02:52:14 1994
--- rrouter.cf	Mon Apr  4 02:42:49 1994
***************
*** 77,90 ****
  	(.*)<@(.+)>(.*)

--- 77,92 ----
  	(.*)<@(.+)>(.*)
  #log "neighbourg test: domain: \2, addr: $address"
  		address="\1@\2\3"
+ 		route="\2\3"

  		if [ x$seenbitnet = xtrue ]; then
  			address="\1@\2.bitnet"
+ 			route="\2.bitnet"
  		fi

  		for method in $protocols
  		do
! 		   	tmp=$(${method}_neighbour "$route" "$address" $A) &&
  				return $tmp
  		done

Is this change likely to break anything?  I've tried several pieces of
test mail with various types of addresses and it all seems to work
okay.  Also, what is the purpose of stripping the .bitnet off of the
address in the first place?

I don't profess to understand all of the code in all of the cf files.
I'm a bit weary of changing something like this for fear that it will
mess things up elsewhere when I least expect it.

Brett McCoy, UNIX Systems Administrator
Computing and Network Services
Kansas State University,  Manhattan KS  66506
vox: (913) 532-4908 / fax: (913) 532-5914 / e-mail: brtmac@ksu.ksu.edu