Re: Fix for a bug in makeHeader...

> We've been using ZMailer for about a year now as the MTA on our central
> 'router' machine. Periodically, we see ZM-router processes dying and
> dumping core. The files which cause these deaths all appear to have one
> thing in common: headers without keywords, to wit:
>         From: foo@bar.baz.edu
>         To: qux@quux.quuux.com
>         : This is a null header
>
> rfc822.c actually has code to guard against this, and insert an
> 'X-Null-Field' keyword to qualify such blatant silliness; unfortunately,
> makeHeader (in rfc822hdrs.c) chokes when trying to deal with it, causing
> SIGSEGV and core dump.
>
> The specific problem is this: makeHeader's last two parameters are a line
> from the header and the length of the 'keyword' (e.g. 'From') part of it.
> makeHeader uses 'len' to find the end of the substring containing the
> keyword, saves the contents of (s+len) (usually a colon), replaces it with
> a null and passes the resulting, truncated s to find_header. When
> find_header returns, the colon is restored.
>
> Which is all well and good except that, since, in the case of
> 'X-Null-Field', (s+len) walks right off the end, since makeLetter only
> passes that, not that plus the bad header line.
>
> The answer I've chosen is to just not bother with all the rigmarole if len
> and strlen(s) are identical -- there will be nothing to save and no reason
> to truncate the string.
>
> Here is the altered segment of makeHeader. Is there anything obviously wrong
> with this? My tests seem to work...
>
> /* MSS1 says if len == strlen(s) (like, if its the null-header
>    case) we don't need to try to add a null -- in fact, it will
>    break rather nastily and crash the router with a SIGSEGV */
>
>         if (len != strlen(s)) {
>                 c = *(s+len);
>                 *(s+len) = '\0';
>                 hlp = find_header(db, s);
>                 *(s+len) = c;
>         } else {
>                 hlp = find_header(db, s);
>         }
>

> --
> Michael Scott Shappe
> CIT Collaboration Systems
> PEM/RIPEM public key available upon request.

I tested the problem you pointed out on two of my systems SVR4 - Esix 4.0.3
and Sun OS 4.1.3. The problem occurs ONLY on the the SVR4.
The Sun gets away with accessing unallocated memory.

I applied your fix and my SVR4 works ok now - thanks Michael.

--
Peter Ziobrzynski, pz@modtor.emp.promis.com, Toronto, Ont. Canada