.forward files no longer work, life with a trapdoor setuid() [SysV]

	We are running many crazy UNIXen at my site, and the first machine
on which we are testing Zmailer is an RS/6000 running RS/6000 AIX 3.1, a
derivative of SysVr3 with a lot of SysVr4 and 4.3BSD added in plus a LOT
of IBM hacks. Unfortunately, the behaviour warned about in the documentation
with SysVs and setuid() has been shown by our system, and there is no way
we know of to get around that. Because of the problems we have been having
with this, I have hacked the mailbox program to not change UIDs, and to
remove the pipe and file capabilities. The question I have here is, other
than for those two capabilities, why does the mailbox program need to set
its UID to that of the recipient, and if there is a good reason for it to
do so, why can't it fork() a child process to actually switch its UID and
do the job, then just wait for the child to finish (thus avoiding this problem
with SysV systems)?

	Along a possibly similar note, since we installed Zmailer, .forward
files in users' home directories are not recognized at all. I'm not exactly
sure if this behavior was evident before I hacked mailbox, but now it's very
certainly there. Can anyone suggest either a fix or a place to look to find
the problem?

							Thanks,

							-Craig