Re: Zmailer and error messages

Hello there!

On Fri, 6 Oct 2000, Matti Aarnio wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 06, 2000 at 01:09:34AM +0400, Petr A. Novopashenniy wrote:
> > Hello there!
> >
> > Sorry, my english is very bad.
>
>     Maybe your pronunciation has atrocious Russian accent
>     to it, but your written text isn't worse than mine.
>
> > Why zmailer using chanel error (if mailbox dosn't exist, for example)
> > puts in to first line of letter
> > "From MAILER-DAEMON Fri Oct  6 00:56:57 2000"
> >       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > instead of
> >
> > "From MAILER-DAEMON@nic.funet.fi Fri Oct  6 00:56:57 2000" ?
> > (nic.funet.fi using for example)
> >
> > Word MAILER-DAEMON without hostname confusing many other MTA's
> > (sendmail for example).
>
> 	If you look at SMTP level, the used MAIL FROM envelope
> 	is in reality:
> 		MAIL FROM:<>

When zmailer generated error message, it mailing it to
original message sender.
If chanel for send this message is smtp, zmailer using $MAILBIN/ta/smtp
command.

In this case, smtp puts to server string "MAIL FROM:<>"
(using 1132 line in smtp.c (zmailer-2.99.54)).
This "MAIL FROM:<>" confusing sendmail (not zmailer!).
Sendmail not relay this message!!!
When I change in smtp.c string from "MAIL FROM:<>" to
"MAILER-DAEMON@$myhostname" then compilling smtp,
this message successfully relaying by sendmail.

> 	It is the local delivery 'mailbox' program which in this
> 	special case claims 'MAILER-DAEMON' as message source at
> 	the From-space header line.
>
> 	At the Mailbox there is also header:
> 	in this error case.
>
> > Sendmail received this letter from zmailer don't relay it (letter).
> > Sendmail puts in to first line "From MAILER-DAEMON@"hostname of sendmail""
> > instead of zmailer.
> >
> > What to me to do?
>
> 	What is the application for this "From-space" header contained
> 	address ?  UUCP ?
>
> > Petr Novopashenniy.
> > pety@neva.ru
>
> --