Re: Zmailer and error messages

On Fri, Oct 06, 2000 at 06:51:36PM +0400, Petr A. Novopashenniy wrote:
> Hello there!
> When zmailer generated error message, it mailing it to
> original message sender.
> If chanel for send this message is smtp, zmailer using $MAILBIN/ta/smtp
> command.
>
> In this case, smtp puts to server string "MAIL FROM:<>"
> (using 1132 line in smtp.c (zmailer-2.99.54)).
> This "MAIL FROM:<>" confusing sendmail (not zmailer!).
> Sendmail not relay this message!!!

  The remote end is most likely qmail with specifically unhealthy
  spam-fighting datasets which contain "unaccepted source envelope
  addresses" listing "<>" in them.  Boo!

  sendmail systems don't (usually) succumb to that sort of stupidity.

> When I change in smtp.c string from "MAIL FROM:<>" to
> "MAILER-DAEMON@$myhostname" then compilling smtp,
> this message successfully relaying by sendmail.

   That is *wrong* -- at the receiving end.
   It is violating RFC 821.