Re: Zmailer and Qmail are not fully compatible ...

Arnt Gulbrandsen <arnt@troll.no> wrote:
> Matti Aarnio <mea@nic.funet.fi>
> > 	The test seem to indicate that QMAIL does violate PIPELINING
> > 	rule (see RFC 2197) that says: (chapter 4.2):
>
> Uhm.  If so, that would necessitate speedy reconfiguration of my
> boxes... so I tested it too, and qmail appears to handle pipelining
> okay.  I verified with tcpdump that the dozen-odd RCPT TO commands in
> my test were sent in a single packet.

   Yes, I agree.  Without knowledge of the qmail source, I have no
   idea how it does the smtp command inputs, and what e.g. system
   library problems might greep to break otherwise working program.

   One of the problems is that given installation (or all Qmails?)
   does in no way tell thru SMTP what version it is running precisely.
   .. or that it runs Qmail at all ...

> I think some additional work with tcpdump/tcpshow is in order.
> (tcpshow is something that'll run tcpdump and show the tcp connection
> fairly nicely.  Easy to find on the net, I guess, but if anyone wants
> the source I can supply it.)

   This happens when sending client is DEC Tru64 and Linux 2.2.6-ac1.
   and 2.2.1 ...  I don't think the problem is at sender's TCP stack.

> --Arnt

/Matti Aarnio