Re: How to switch off smtpserver adres parsing ?

> Connected to mail.onet.pl.
> 220 mail.onet.pl ZMailer Server 2.99.49p9 #1 ESMTP ready at Thu, 22 Apr 1999 15:38:24 +0200
> helo
> 250 mail.onet.pl expected "HELO mail.onet.pl"
> mail from: <underley@wdffwe4 werwer.pl>
> 501-5.5.2                     ^
> 501 5.5.2 Path data: Extra garbage before terminating ">"
>
> Ok, but in some stupid programs, for example MS Outlook,
> this generate error like "0x800xxxxxx".
>
> How to switch off this veryfication ?

	Hmm..  This one you can't configure away.
	Of course M$ is now telling people that "Outlook is available
	for free" (and all bugs in it are included in the price..)

	I have heard that MS Outlook is not the *only* email "client"
	with this same problem, and that for some reason a multiline
	error reply is prone to blow up various "clients" -- and that
	ZMailer appears to be the only server doing them, while RFC 821
	clearly specifies them..

	You can go into  smtpserver/smtpserver.c,  function  type821err()
	and in it remove the code outputing that "501-..." line.
	( your 2.99.49p9 is possibly so different at that part, that I
	  can't give you exact diff. )

	I am considering another PARAM option into  smtpserver.conf
	to disable these multiline error reports -- leaving only the
	last of the single-line ones.  Care to suggest me a name for
	the option ?

/Matti Aarnio <mea@nic.funet.fi>