Re: Pine3.95 & Zmailer2.99.21

> On Sat, 8 Mar 1997, Heikki Hannikainen wrote:
> > On Sat, 8 Mar 1997, Ambrose Li wrote:
> >
> > > I run zmailer 2.99.43 on my Linux system (kernel 2.0.29, libc 5.2.18,
> > > ncurses 3.0), and have tried both pine 3.95 and 3.96, and they both
> > > hang (stay at 0%) whenever I *send* mail.  (Reading mail works fine.)
> >
> > > Has anyone successfully used Pine 3.95+ on a system running zmailer?
> >
> >   I use it here. Had the same problem, until i made pine send mail using
> > smtp, ie. set smtp-server in the setup to localhost.
>
> That's one solution, another is to use pine's sendmail-path -setting. I
> have the following line in my pine.conf:
>
> 	sendmail-path=/usr/sbin/sendmail -t

  The default value appears to be:

	sendmail-path=/usr/lib/sendmail -bs -odb -oem

  It just happens that the ZMailer's 'sendmail' ``complains'' about
  ignored options, and it looks like the complaint goes to stdin of
  the PINE -- which expects to get the SMTP greeting:

	220 hostname ZMailer ....

  Once I recognized that, fix was easy..
  ( The complaint goes to the stderr, but PINE apparently binds child
    process stdout, and stderr together :-( )

> -Timo-
> timok@iki.fi

	/Matti Aarnio