Re: ndbm support

>   It seems that the owner_ndbm() and modp_ndbm() functions in ndbm.c have
> been modified not to use dbm_pagfno() (I believe in 2.99.26) to get the file
> descriptor associated with the database, but instead to use stat() calls on
> the filename.
>
>   However, the code appears to assume that the database name will equal
> the filename.  This won't work with the original ndbm as separate
> <database name>.dir and <database name>.pag files are used.  This
> won't work with the BSD db package as the a <database name>.db file is
> used.  I guess this will only work with gdbm() as uses only one file, and
> no suffix?

	Right..  The change was made originally due to that diabolic
	new BSD "db"-thing, which claimed to be NDBM, but is not.
	Propably I need to add a new mechanism for it alone, and
	revert all else into the old state.

	.. I just need to have a few days of quiet with my computers
	without a need to go anywhere ..    ( Perhaps I got to go to
	sail with my friend, the cellular phone will not work everywhere
	out there in the Finnish Archipelago :-) )

	.. alternatively somebody could contribute some code :-)

Statistics tidbit:
	Finland, population 5.1 M
	Regular phones:  3.5 M
	Cellular phones: 1.3 M
	(and the number of cellulars is still going up...)

	/Matti Aarnio <mea@nic.funet.fi>