Re: SMTP file naming issue?

On Fri, Jun 02, 2006 at 11:58:44PM -0700, Neal Morgan wrote:
> Hello Matti!
>
> I've been watching the files dropped into postoffice/router by incoming
> SMTP sessions and I note the same file name is used several times.   I'm
> wondering if this is configurable, or a bug...  I have an external
> process that acts on the messages before the router picks them up for
> delivery.  I'd like to be able to track "chain of custody" per message
> using this file name, but am unable to do so if SMTP reuses the same
> name.

Like it has been told, the spool-id comes from file i-node number plus
its mtime timestamp.

I did finally write and commit codes that use file mtime with nanosecond
resolution, if available.  Now messages that arrive within same second
will still get different mtime timestamps - if chosen filesystem supports
such a thing..

Lattest Linux does not (I tried only EXT3, others may or may not),
but Solaris 10 UFS does have nanosecond times.

So: If you have a filesystem that supports nanosecond timestamps
    in your spool, the ZMailer spool-id will be unique.