Re: Round Robin Mail Routes

On Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 04:52:17PM -0400, Benoit Shelston wrote:
> Is there a way to have zmailer send mail to multiple servers in round
> robin without using MX lookups? I would like to specify two or more IP
> addresses per route.

In static route file explicitely ?  Hmm..  No.
In combination with  hosts -file  -- maybe.

You do have a cluster of virus-scanners that shall process
some subnet of messages ?

Routing thru to  smtpx channel via 'routes'-file entry:

     target.dom   smtpx!target-server-name

will do DNS A randomization in transmit.

However..   ZMailer  smtp client is designed to send as much
email thru single connection as it can.  It will attempt to
keep the connection alive, which in this kind of round-robin
setups will of course defeat the round-robinnes, and other
ways of doing TCP connection load-balancing.

In  smtp  there is (in CVS edition at least)  -1  option,
which does send one mail-transaction per connection, then
closes the connection, and reopens it for next connection..

Routing given target domains to a new channel definitions:

   smtp-par-1/*
       command="smtp ... -1 ... "

(clone everything else from  smtp-par  definition)
and adding route-entry:

   target.dom   smtp-par-1!server.target.dom

That might solve a "cluster passage" problem for you.