Re: zmailer kill scheduler

On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 12:45:25PM +0300, Matti Aarnio wrote:
> I guess they are 'smtp' programs ?

Yes.

> And your system is Solaris ?

No, it's Linux (i386 machine, Debian "woody" with 2.4.x kernel)

> Instant death is possible for them, too, but they are most likely
> in 'dot-wait' (or connection setup, which should die instantly).
> Death within smtp dot-wait will result in message to be double-delivered.
>
> If you can accept that, then the protection domain can be eliminated.
> In the   transports/smtp/smtp.c   you can find ONE instance of:
>        dotmode = 1;
> disable that (e.g. comment it out) and they all should die instantly.

No, I would not like to do that.  However, I see another possibility.
When failover occurs, the first thing that happens is that the cluster
IP address is released.  The transport agents use the real IP address
of the machine.  If there is a way to make the transport agents use
the cluster IP address instead, then I would imagine that, when this
IP address is released, the transport agents would immediately die.

--
Roy Bixler <rcb@ucp.uchicago.edu>
The University of Chicago Press