greylisting anyone?

Hello,

greylisting ( http://projects.puremagic.com/greylisting/ )
appears to be very successful and is catching on. Our main campus
sendmail MTA has implemented it with great results.

I recently decided to integrate it to our older departmental zmailer
(2.99.55) as an add-on hack to my content-policy routine and have seen a
very noticable drop in spam deliverables.

Sample smtpserver log entry showing the block:

ZObk13425r      DATA
ZObk13425w      354 Start mail input; end with <CRLF>.<CRLF>
ZObk13425#      policyprogram said: -1 451 4.7.1 Temporary greylist delay
ZObk13425#      Content-policy analysis ordered message rejection.
                (code=-1); msg='451 4.7.1 Temporary greylist delay'
ZObk13425w      451 4.7.1 Temporary greylist delay
ZObk13425r      QUIT

The idea is to keep track of unique triplets (relay_ip,mail_from,rcpt_to)
and to introduce a temporary blocking interval which expires after a given
time.

Well behaved MTA's will resend at some fixed rate or with exponential
backoff, but a lot of simple spam engines do not, and this is where
greylisting gets them, at least for the time being.

Anyone else (Matti?) looked into it?

(in particular, it would be much more efficient to do greylisting before
the DATA/BDAT phase in my case, but I don't know the zmailer code well
enough to pick the best one)

Cheers,
--
James S. MacKinnon           Office: P-139 Avadh-Bhatia Physics Lab
Team Physics                 Voice : (780) 492-8226 [old AC 403]

char*f="char*f=%c%s%c;main(){printf(f,34,f,34,10);}%c";main(){printf(f,34,f,34,10);}
for all that we know the universe could cease to exist at any mo