Re: A potential way to cut down on spam.

There was an article written on this subject, now relatively old in the
fight (from Aug of last year). It suggests greylisting of new messages
based on not just IP address of the sender, but the tuple {IP address,
envelope sender, envelope recipient}

http://projects.puremagic.com/greylisting/

ZMailer has particularly good support for customizing its /routing/
abilities. (the somewhat vaguely documented ZMSH is infinitely easier
then the line-noise of Sendmail, even with my 2" thick bat book). The
question last week which the answer was DNSRBLs, and this one, has me
wondering about its abilities to do custom processing at the SMTP server
level.. I can parse virus checker logs and update DNS, but I want a
temporary failure for my auto-generated list, permanent for another.

Are there generic hooks to implement custom logic like this, besides the
content filter that is? Or is that the best spot to implement such
logic, gathering data from a queue file rather then being parameters
passed to a function? If we use the content filter then we've already
wasted the bandwidth....