A bug and a bigger question

I have been trying to rationalise our various mailers and using
mboxmap to help with this.

In doing so I have found a bug by which if you try to deliver to a
user in a 'case insensitive' way it does not work.  For example, we
have a user 'jude' whose mboxmap entry is

ourmachine.widearea.co.uk:/var/spool:jude

On 'ourmachine', "router JUDE" says:

z# router JUDE
<shb.interactive@>: address: JUDE
(((local pob:jude /var/spool/PObox/jude@widearea.co.uk g1)))

but a delivery fails (this is from a mail -v JUDE):

Feeding to child; ce.argv = "'mailbox' '-8' '-l'
'/var/log/mail/mailbox'" chan = 'local' cmd: Q/K/971838   pob:jude
mailbox: local/pob:jude /var/spool/PObox/jude@widearea.co.uk 99
    Mail to file rejected due to priviledge == NOBODY
DIAG: C='local' H='pob:jude' U='/var/spool/PObox/jude@widearea.co.uk'
P='99' ID=971838/197 L=198 -- stat='error2'
notary='/var/spool/PObox/jude@widearea.co.uk`failed`5.2.1 (Mail to
fdisallowed w/o proper privileges)`x-local; 550 (mail to file
disallowed w/o proper privileg)`'  MSG='mail to file disallowed'

(as opposed to a mail -v jude which says:

DIAG: C='local' H='pob:jude' U='/var/spool/PObox/jude@widearea.co.uk'
P='2007' ID=971839/197 L=198 -- stat='ok3'
notary='/var/spool/PObox/jude@widearea.co.uk`delivered`2.2.0
(Deliveruccessfully)`x-local; 250 (Delivered successfully)`'  MSG='Ok'

Suffice it to say it works without the mboxmap entry no matter what
case we use.

I am guessing this is a bug in mailbox but I cannot for the life of
me see where the problem is....

As I said at the top, the reason this came about is that we are
trying to rationalise our mailer setup.  We have a bunch of machines
with no mailboxes which use 'null' sendmail setups to deliver
machines running zmailer which do have mailboxes.  I wanted these
machines whenever possible to have the same files and mboxmap helps a
lot here -- once we had created some PObox symlinks.

However, the weakness in my set up which I cannot resolve is that we
deliver some mail to programs via aliases without corresponding
users.  As such I have to different alias files on different machines
which contain common parts (like postmaster maps to a bunch of users)
and local parts (this name maps to this command here or to that name
'over there').

Is there any way round this?

Regards,
Simon.