Re: SBL blocklist query trouble

On Fri, Oct 31, 2003 at 08:09:33PM -0600, Roy Bixler wrote:
> I'm wondering if anyone else has had a problem with trying to query
> the SBL (sbl.spamhaus.org) blocklist via the SMTP server.  I first saw
> this trouble with a Debian Linux box running the 2.99.55 prepackaged
> SSL version of ZMailer.  Inbound SMTP connexions just hang and the
> smtpserver process consumes 99% of the CPU.  With sufficient number of
> these stuck SMTP connexions, the system gets very slow.

I've done a bit more testing on this.  I've been able to reproduce the
problem on a Solaris 8 system running ZMailer 2.99.51 and with the
NetBSD 1.6.1 system running the CVS version of 1st/2nd November
(depending on time zone.)  It's looking more and more like a problem
with the ZMailer blocklist lookup code looping infinitely.

--
Roy Bixler <rcb@ucp.uchicago.edu>
The University of Chicago Press