Re: 2.99.55 caused DoS attack

On Mon, Apr 14, 2003 at 12:39:31PM +0300, Matti Aarnio wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 14, 2003 at 12:52:11PM +0400, Eugene Crosser wrote:
> > On Fri, 2003-04-11 at 22:21, Roy Bixler wrote:
> > > My day today has been rather "interesting" so far.  Campus networking
> > > twice had to disable the network port for our Z-Mailer 2.99.55 mail
> > > server due to DoS attack on their name servers.
> >
> > The function that creates bounce report uses dns to find *local* host
> > name.  If you have several entries in the "search" line, it issues as
> > many DNS requests.  This is the fix that I use here:
>
>   Right.  Now that you mentioned this again...
>   I applied this.

I don't think this was my problem last week, since I only had one
entry in the "search" line.  On the other hand, I had several
"nameserver" lines.

>   Reading the ChangeLog, I think the busy-loop-like thing is likely
>   fixed in  2.99.55-patch1

You are talking about a separate patch?  Anyway, I will update my
filed Debian bug report with this information.

thx,

--
Roy Bixler <rcb@ucp.uchicago.edu>
The University of Chicago Press