Those odd Hotmail bounces..

Reading list archives, there have been lots of these reports
over prolonged time, but I just haven't paid enough attention
(my bad)...

The analysis result is simple in the end:
  The way how MS has implemented BDAT is broken, badly!

The bug in question is wrong handling of BDAT verb in case
of an percieved error.  The MS Exchange 2000 does not consume
associated SMTP message content data in that case, just throws
in an error message.  Then the just sent message content data
is received as further commands verbs -- causing unpredictable
amount of "500 Unknown command", or some such...

In case of HOTMAIL, I have routed that domain as:

   hotmail.com   smtp77!

which handles it, but the actual bug must be corrected, or
the BDAT verb becomes completely unusable.