Re: Received: ... for <mumble@fumble.int>...

Matti Aarnio <mea@nic.funet.fi>
> On Fri, Sep 20, 2002 at 02:09:20PM +0200, Arnt Gulbrandsen wrote:
> > Some MUAs, notably Sendmail, write a 'for' clause in the received field
> > when a single-recipient message is processed.
> >
> > Zmailer doesn't (at least not in the versions I have handy now). Is
> > there any particular reason for that?
>
>   Primarily that the time when ZMailer is writing the headers is
>   at the routing, and poking things at delivery is -- cumbersome.

Well, AFAICT during routing should be the right time. See below.

>   I have thought of doing something _like_ it at least for smtp
>   transport-agent (things that are needed at a list fanout processing
>   at vger.kernel.org ...)
>
>   What shall be put into the tag when the delivery is going thru
>   a  .forward  derived pipe ? (e.g. vacation)

At various points inside zmailer the address may have several diferent
forms, e.g. "((a b c d))". Those are all internal matters. The canonical
address (the one that's shown to the world in to/cc/from) is what should
be used in received too, unless there is a clear reason to use a different
address.

Put simply: The way I see my address in e.g. "From" is the same way I
should see it in "Received".

>   Related activity is doing "Delivered-To:" header adding/bouncing
>   when same destination appears twice..  E.g. there shall be user/alias
>   which is driving the pipe, not the pipe command itself.

Delivered-to sounds like different to me. If it's used by the transports
for string comparison, then the transport is the one that knows what
string should be put there.

I have to say, though, that meddling with header fields in the transports
sounds rather hacky.

--Arnt