Re: Bounces with bogus DNS error messages

On Sat, Aug 17, 2002 at 12:34:02AM +0200, Ralf Baechle wrote:
> I'm observing Zmailer bouncing mails with bogus error messages since a
> while.  The error messages all look like:
>
>   Diagnostic Code:
>       ^M-> DNSreply: len=364 rcode=0 qd=1 an=1 ns=10 ar=4^M-> 80365s MX[0] p=10
> +'mailin.snailmail.de'^M-> getaddrinfo(INET, 'mailin.snailmail.de','0') -> r=-2
> +(Name or service not known); ai=%p^M-> No addresses for
> +'mailin.snailmail.de'[0]^M-> nmx=1 maxpref=66000 realname=''^M=> NONE of MXes
> +support SMTP!
>
> (Addresses have been changed in above example)
>
> In all cases a manual verification of the DNS information found that
> the nameserver of the machine running zmailer was returning information
> including proper MX records and A records for all mail exchangers.
>
> The machine in question is running the resolver from Redhat 7.2's
> glibc 2.2.4 package and Zmailer 2.99.55 from CVS.

  In some  glibc versions the   gethostinfo()  calls are returning
  bogus data.  At vger.kernel.org  we are running with config option:
       --with-ipv6-replacement-libc
  because for a while the glibc there was updated to use the broken
  form.  Actually that is an error, and it has been fixed at least
  twice in glibc.  I don't know why it has crept back in..

  The error in question inside the glibc's  getaddrinfo()  is treating
  TIMEOUT same as NXDOMAIN, which it definitely is not.

> Another nit - obove error message contains actual ^M characters in the
> bounce without accompaning \n characters.  That leaves propper display
> of the error message in the hands of the MUA's creativity but will
> hardly result in something nicely formatted ...

  Hmm..  "Diagnostic Code", ok, I will see about that.