Does Zmailer fork?

When doing remote deliveries, does Zmailer need to fork a subprocess for
each SMTP server it has to contact?

The reason I'm asking is that I have an account with an ISP that has a
limit on the number of concurrent processes (it's an oddball "virtual
server" configuration where I have my own set of daemons), so I'm trying
to determine what a good MTA for this situation is.

I'm currently using qmail to run a discussion list with 3000 users, but
sometimes there's a lot of slow destination SMTP servers that tie up my
qmail processes.