Re: spam filtering on zmailer list

On Fri, Jun 15, 2001 at 12:24:42AM +0400, Alexey Lobanov wrote:
> From:	"Alexey Lobanov" <aal@cpr.spb.ru>
> To:	Matti Aarnio <zmailer@nic.funet.fi>

  Carefull there, if you presume "zmailer@nic.funet.fi" is my private
  address, you are in for a nasty shock...

> Hi.
>
> On 12 Jun 01, at 17:00, Matti Aarnio wrote:
>
> >   I cloned the majordomo setup from  vger.kernel.org into here, and
> >   now the   zmailer@nic.funet.fi  should go via it.
>
> >   That setup contains various "TABOO" filters, which essentially
> >   show the middle finger to the most common spams.
>
> Matti, why don't you enable a standard maillist option: subscribers-
> only (by "From:") posting? No matter, responsible ones or not. I know
> that you "don't" also because I write from new address last 2 years,
> and I'll be bounced immediately upon this action :-)

   You noticed the first reason.

   Doing "closed posting" systems is definitely possible, but
   people have lots of problems at setting their outgoing email
   envelope correctly -- ALL PARTS OF IT ALIKE -- and systems
   like the old trusty Majordomo get rather confused if there
   is any discrepancy in headers.

   Furthermore, "closed posting" means *I* can't post!

   So really, no.

   And anyway the Taboo filters in use are good enough to trap
   the most common forms of spams, and not let them thru..

   Folks, from now on:  NEVER post  TEXT/HTML  into this list.
   It will always be diverted into approval, and I will NEVER
   approve such...    (At least not before RFC 9822 gets written
   in about 10 years time, and HTML is an old fad and everybody
   are sending around multi-terabyte holographic datastreams.)
   (Just couple scewed exponential growth estimates...)