[Raw Msg Headers][Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: SMTP Looping and RBL problem (separate issues)
On Tue, Apr 03, 2001 at 07:06:47PM -0300, zmailer wrote:
> 2 things we found today using 2.99.54 on Solaris 2.6.
... I will return to that latter ...
> SMTP Looping:
> Today we found a spike on our DNS server (more or less 300 queries
> per second). All the queries were for the A record of the same name.
My work colleques reported the same yesterday, but didn't leave
me a change to study it.
With this report I was able to determine where it went wrong,
and I just made CVS commit for related patch to support function
at file transports/smtp/getmxrr.c
> The problem was an smtp process. The message being processed was
> for XX@qmx.net (apologies for publishing the domain, but it may help)
> The MX for this domain (ICE.QAX.net) didn't have an A record.
Returning SERVFAIL, which seems to yeild EAI_AGAIN, which
at some point in the code bailed out with SS->mxcount set to
one (the failed MX entry), while it should have been zero..
(Bailed out before doing the assignment..)
> After enabling verbose we have the text at the end.
> this are just a couple of lines from a file which grove up to 3Mb in less
> than a minute.
> BTW: the same address tested with 2.99.54 bounce saying:
> Diagnostic texts:
> smtp; 500 (DNS: MX host does not support SMTP: qmx.net)
That it should have done.
> Hope all this info helps.
> Nicolás Baumgarten
> Pert Consultores
/Matti Aarnio <firstname.lastname@example.org>