[Raw Msg Headers][Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: MX weirdness
On Thu, Aug 24, 2000 at 02:24:21PM -0700, Ralf Baechle wrote:
> Running zmailer from CVS as of June 13 I ran into this problem trying to
> send mail to the domain mvista.com. The two MX'es for the domain
> mvista.com are apocalypse.mvista.com and messenger.mvista.com:
> And this is the delivery-status data:
> Original-Recipient: rfc822;email@example.com
> Final-Recipient: RFC822;firstname.lastname@example.org
> Action: failed
> Status: 5.1.1 (bad destination mailbox)
> Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550 (<email@example.com>... Relaying denied)
> Remote-MTA: dns; mvista.com (220.127.116.11|25|18.104.22.168|6785)
> Last-Attempt-Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 23:40:46 -0700
> X-ZTAID: smtp
> Note that the remote side 22.214.171.124 which is the host mvista.com which is
> none of the mail exchangers for the domain mvista.com, so why did zmailer
> try to contact it. Is this a known / fixed problem?
It looks like getmxrr() function didn't (for some reason) get
the A records for the MX hosts, and thus discarded it and picked
possible existing A for mvista.com (which exists).
Well, you don't mention your operating system so I can't say for sure,
as the problem really seems to lurk at GLIBC getaddrinfo() function,
or in its old precursor used at ZMailer for systems without that function
in the libc or socket libraries.
Around the beginning of August I rewrote the getaddrinfo() as it exists
at ZMailer's "additional libc function implementations" set, and made it
compatible (with corrections) with the current glibc (version 2.2).
Now the frequency I see similar problems has dropped considerably.
(Right down to zero, in fact.)
CVS version only, at the moment.
/Matti Aarnio <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Re: MX weirdness
- From: Ralf Baechle <email@example.com> (Fri, 25 Aug 2000 10:07:58 +0300)