SMTP Configuration Help

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,

Previously I had requested assistance in allowing multiple threads and have
since modified my $MAILSHARE/scheduler.conf file to read as follows:

smtp/*.com
maxchannel=199
maxring=30
maxthr=10
command="smtp -s -l ${LOGDIR}/multi-thread"

**Please note logging is only enabled for diagnostic purposes while I try to
figure out what is I have managed to foul up.

Now, if I understand the comments and the advice given to me, the above
should cap the maximum number of threads to 10.  However, in reality I am
seeing something much different in /var/log/syslog:

Jan 24 15:11:59 mailrouter1 smtp[10220]: [SNIP]  Message received OK
Jan 24 15:12:00 mailrouter1 smtp[10502]: [SNIP]  Message received OK
Jan 24 15:12:00 mailrouter1 smtp[10220]: [SNIP]  Message received OK
Jan 24 15:12:01 mailrouter1 smtp[10502]: [SNIP]  Message received OK
Jan 24 15:12:01 mailrouter1 smtp[10220]: [SNIP]  Message received OK
....etc

Basically, only two threads...I am curious, what is going on?  The queue at
that time had nearly 100 messages all addressed to the SAME address on our
internal LAN.  Which represents our normal/typical traffic pattern for our
application.  Is there any way in which I could optimize this to say create
5, 10 or even 15 simultaneous SMTP processes?  What factors effect the
maximum thread total?

Again, your patience, time and assistance are sincerely and deeply
appreciated.

Thank you,

Aaron D. Kulick
Navin.com, Inc.