Re: Local Retries...

On Sat, Dec 18, 1999 at 04:52:57AM -0400, David L. Potter wrote:
> Even though we set retries (and selected other parameters) in
> scheduler.conf to:
>
> local/*
>         interval=60m
>         expiry=3d
>         retries="12 12 12 12 12 12"
>         skew=1
>
> It appears as if every time a new message comes in the counter starts
> over again for all messages being held. Is this broken/going to be
> fixed, are we missing something obvious here or are we just kidding
> ourselves thinking that we can actually control the number of retries?

	The retries are happening when no other reason exists to
	trigger things -- like arrival of a new message to the same
	thread.

	I have been reworking some core algorithms of the scheduler
	lately; to large extent turned thread state algorithms upside
	down - simplifying things same time, and more importantly,
	creating a real consistent state-oriented behaviour.

	At the same time I think I have finally understood, why ETRN
	systems have been reported to have non-ideal behaviours.
	(Basically the thread-completition code does "switch to other
	 thread, and start it" unconditionally - so QUEUEONLY does
	 break at that point.)

	Oh yes, that also - somewhat - relates on the surprising amount
	of retries...