Does anybody have problems with 2.99.52-pre3 ?

yes, I have heard of ETRN queue timeout problem, although I don't yet
understand how it can happen -- it is a scheduler issue, and nothing
scheduling related has been done there since 29-Jun-1999 (before
2.99.41-pre1 - CVS tag, apparently, as there isn't separate tarball).

Even then, real scheduling changes should be far older, like at least
6 months, perhaps more (I just stopped around april 1999 for
the backtrack).

/Matti Aarnio