Re: 2.99.51-pre2

After upgrading our Z-mailer installation to the latest 2.99.51pre2 at
a couple of different installations, some questions have come up.  First,
I wonder what the following message appearing in /var/log/mail/scheduler
means:

Resyncing file "T/132957-22096" (ino=132957) .. in processing db

It appeared repeatedly until making a more than 500 Megabyte log file,
filling up the disk.  It only happened on one installation, a Debian
'hamm' system with libc6 2.0.6.  Is it an indication something is wrong
or should I shut off that message and ignore it?

My other questions have to do with relay protection.  With the Z-mailer
upgrade, I finally really got around to tightening up our relay protection.
It worked fine until the case of an employee using an outside ISP had
her mail client set to use our SMTP server to send out all her mail.  Of
course, I know the real answer is to find out that ISP's SMTP gateway and
tell her to use that.  But, in the meanwhile, would it be possible to
do something like:

cuser@press-gopher.uchicago.edu relaycustomer +

in smtp-policy.src to allow only that user to use us for a relay?  I
tried, but to no avail.

An alternative I was considering, since I found out this user's mail client
is M$ Outlook Express, is to try using the new authenticated SMTP method.
Once authentication successful, I trust that arbitrary relaying is
allowed?  Anyway, I couldn't get it to work.  I enabled

PARAM   smtp-auth
PARAM AUTH-LOGIN-also-without-TLS

entries in 'smtpserver.conf' but the authentication always fails when
sending with an Outlook Express client here:

10726IOUBr      EHLO press226187
10726IOUBw      250-press.uchicago.edu expected "EHLO press-187.uchicago.edu"
10726IOUBw      250-SIZE 0
10726IOUBw      250-8BITMIME
10726IOUBw      250-PIPELINING
10726IOUBw      250-CHUNKING
10726IOUBw      250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
10726IOUBw      250-DSN
10726IOUBw      250-X-RCPTLIMIT 10000
10726IOUBw      250-AUTH=LOGIN
10726IOUBw      250-AUTH LOGIN
10726IOUBw      250-ETRN
10726IOUBw      250 HELP
10726IOUBr      AUTH LOGIN
10726IOUBw      334 VXNlcm5hbWU6
10726IOUBr      Ymhi
10726IOUBw      334 UGFzc3dvcmQ6
10726IOUBr      **base64-password**
10726IOUBw      535 Authentication failed.

Any ideas there?

Thanks,

--
Roy Bixler