Re: Flexible mail-relay protection

> 	I have tried to look for the M$ specifications about
> 	what the Exchange servers mean with their EHLO
> 	response:
> 		AUTH=LOGIN
>
> 	If you can find M$ document at it, I would be very gratefull,
> 	indeed.

   IRC is a miracle place -- even when using it only among our "small"
corporate coder and keeper teams in the middle of the night...  There
wasn't M$ document known, but something else to explain RFC 2554:

  http://help.netscape.com/products/server/messaging/3x/info/smtpauth.html

The salient part explaining it all:

S: 220 jimi-hendrix.mcom.com ESMTP server (Netscape Messaging Server - Version 3.0) ready Fri, 2 May 1997 09:38:41 -0700
C: ehlo jimi
S: 250-jimi-hendrix.mcom.com
S: 250 AUTH=LOGIN
C: auth login
S: 334 VXNlcm5hbWU6                  base64 "Username:"
C: bXluYW1l                          base64 "myname"
S: 334 Uc2VjcmV0                     base64 "Password:"
C: GFzc3dvcmQ6                       base64 "secret"
S: 235 Authentication successful

  Ok, so that is plain-text login over the wire, but in systems where
the password is stored in encrypted form that is the best we can do :-/
(I don't count Base64 obfuscation as security; a determined snooper/cracker
 can decode those easily..)

/Matti Aarnio <mea@nic.funet.fi>