Re: UUCP and MAIL FROM:

On Thu, 5 Nov 1998, Alexey Lobanov wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I use Zmailer as MTA at a Linux host with some UUCP "downlinks".
> The minor problem is that any mail being sent from UUCP is owned by
> respective "UUCP login" pseudo-user. I.e., if
> somebody@subdomain.cor.neva.ru sends UUCP message to world, and his
> UUCP logs in as uusubdomainfakeuser, Zmailer says
>
> MAIL FROM:<uusubdomainfakeuser@atrium.cor.neva.ru>
>
> instead of
>
> MAIL FROM:<somebody@subdomain.cor.neva.ru>
>
> Respectively, any errors are returned to this MAIL FROM. Of course,
> it is aliased to <postmaster@subdomain.cor.neva.ru> now.
>
> The nature of problem is clear: rmail looks on his UID when giving
> message to Zmailer. But what is the solution? UUCP is Taylor's.
>
> Regards,
> Alexey

I have similar problem (using linux host with some UUCP downlinks).
UUCP site runs sendmail 8.8.8 , linux runs zmailer 2.99.43.
I am able to fake From: addres (at UUCP site in sendmail 8.8.8):

From: Jan Novak <jnovak@dbp.saske.sk>
To: Peter Druhy <pdruhy@kosice.upjs.sk>

(dbp.saske.sk is UUCP connected site), but zmailer delivery
is refused by receiving mailer with the following:

<smtp kosice.upjs.sk pdruhy@kosice.upjs.sk 65534>: ...\
        <<- MAIL From:<dbp.saske.sk!jnovak@dbp.uucp> BODY=8BITMIME SIZE=1480
        ->> 501 <dbp.saske.sk!jnovak@dbp.uucp>... Sender domain must exist
(this is abnormal, investigate!)

Could somebody advise me how to make zmailer (or rmail from which I believe
zmailer has this UUCP-shaped MAIL From:) to produce:
MAIL From: jnovak@dbp.saske.sk

???

Bye, Anton Jusko
     Slovak Academy of Sciences, Kosice, Slovakia