Re: The mailq service

On Mon, 29 Jun 1998 mea@nic.funet.fi wrote:

> > Maybe it's a stupid question, but how do I stop remote machines to connect
> > to port 174/TCP when running zmailer? I definitely don't want people to
> > look at the mail queue on the local server.
> > How do I tell zmailer not to accept any connections to that port (at least
> > from the outside, I still want the mailq command to work locally)
>
> With  tcpd  by controlling access to facility:
> 	mailq
>
> /etc/hosts.allow:
> 	mailq : ALL@1.2.3.0
> 	smtp-receiver : ALL
>
> /etc/hosts.deny:
> 	ALL: ALL@ALL
Doesn't work for me. I did it the way you suggested above and it still allows
remote connections to this port. Before, I tried the following:

/etc/hosts.allow is empty (zmailer-wise)

/etc/hosts.deny:
	mailq: ALL@ALL except ALL@195.205.37.120

which also didn't work. So, I tried yet different solution - I added the mailq
service to /etc/inetd.conf and restarted inetd. As it was to be expected,
inetd refused to service this port since the socket was already in use by
zmailer. I'm running Zmailer 2.99.50-s5.