Re: The mailq service

On Mon, 29 Jun 1998, Oleg Polyanski wrote:

> > Maybe it's a stupid question, but how do I stop remote machines to connect
> > to port 174/TCP when running zmailer? I definitely don't want people to
> > look at the mail queue on the local server.
> > How do I tell zmailer not to accept any connections to that port (at least
> > from the outside, I still want the mailq command to work locally)
> >

> 	use tcp wrappers.
Won't work. Zmailer daemons are not invoked via the inet superserver, they
are started from the command line and "daemonized" - they listen on the
ports in question on their own. The tcp wrappers never get in their way -
that is unless I can use the wrappers from within zmailer? I was looking
for information on this topic, but alas to no avail... ;-(( Well, I
thought that adding the mailq service to /etc/inetd.conf and denying
access to it in /etc/hosts.deny would work - the assumption was that inetd
and thus tcp wrappers will get the connection first and refuse it. But
that doesn't work. strobe still reports the mailq service on tcp port
174....