Re: No MX, no address

On Mon, 23 Mar 1998 mea@nic.funet.fi wrote:
> 	At the moment it is "soft" error by which I have hoped to
> 	give a bit of time for the destination system administrator
> 	to correct their DNS datasets.  If the message has not been
> 	delivered within scheduler channel/host selector timeout
> 	specification, then the "soft" error becomes "hard", and
> 	bounces.

Which is good behavior because...

> 	On the other hand, with this a watchfull postmaster can
> 	notice when target domain has trouble with it, and could
> 	(in theory) ask target domain admins to fix it by adding
> 	the missing MXes, and have emails delivered if the detection
> 	and correction happen early enough.

Exactly.  Some DNS errors are transient (due to temporary
mis-configurations, etc), and it is wise (IMHO) to be at least a little
patient in case the hostmaster at the far end fixes the problem.

> 	Doing DNS code is -- a challenge indeed...

Heh - no argument here! :-)

-Andy

Global Auctions
http://www.globalauctions.com