Re: zmailer too restrictive

On Thu, 9 Oct 1997, Matti Aarnio wrote:

> > Hi Everyone,
> >
> > this should be a valid e-mail address, so why is zmailer complaining ?
>
> Not ok:
> 	h.-j.schulze@...
> Ok:
> 	h-j.schulze@...
>
> After a dot the accepted characters are: a-z 0-9

Where did you see that ?
In rfc822 i can't find that limitation.
There i see:

               Note:  For purposes of display, and when passing  such  struc-
                      tured information to other systems, such as mail proto-
                      col  services,  there  must  be  NO  linear-white-space
                      between  <word>s  that are separated by period (".") or
                      at-sign ("@") and exactly one SPACE between  all  other
                      <word>s.  Also, headers should be in a folded form.

Next:
              The local-part of an  addr-spec  in  a  mailbox  specification
               (i.e.,  the  host's  name for the mailbox) is understood to be
               whatever the receiving mail protocol server allows.  For exam-
               ple,  some systems do not understand mailbox references of the
               form "P. D. Q. Bach", but others do.

> I can alter the parser if you can convince me that it really is ok
> according to mail standards.

Convinced ? :)

Greets, Sven
--