Re: Those spammers, and their tools...

On Fri, 29 Aug 1997, Matti Aarnio wrote:

> **Do not confuse this list with others that are floating around.**
> This list contains absolutely no duplicates.
> NO .edu, .gov, .mil, .org
> No illegal characters.
> No generated addresses
> Undeliverables recently taken out!
> 	>>> Does anybody know, why those toplevels have been removed
> 	    from the list ?  Is there some US government action that
> 	    can be behind it ?

I've gotten multiple copies of this spam too.  My guess is that .mil and
.gov are removed to keep spammers from pissing off the government and
pushing the feds into signing laws against spam.  The edu's might be
removed because the majority of edu addresses are students, and their
addresses are largely temporary and therefore likely to go bad sooner, or
because as students they likely have little money to waste on spammers get
rich quick schemes.  Maybe students also have more time and ingenutiy for
retaliating against spammers.

> Mitchell Enterprises
> 8867 Highland Rd. Suite 2A
> Baton Rouge, LA 70808

Wouldn't it be a shame is someone hand deliverd a pipe bomb there?

 Jon Lewis <jlewis@fdt.net>  |  Unsolicited commercial e-mail will
 Network Administrator       |  be proof-read for $199/message.
 Florida Digital Turnpike    |