Re: smtp seems to be ignoring a 550 return

> Using zmailer 2.99.48p2 under SunOS-4.1.4_U1.
>
> I don't know if I am missing something obvious but smtp seems to just idle
> out after receiving a 550 user unknown return from a remote esmtp (and I
> believe smtpd as well) daemon.  The message just gets retried until the 3
> day timeout is up.  Any ideas?

Here are a couple of additional observations I made with
a similiar problem:

Using `Mail -v`, this is the last part of the repeated smtp sessions:

550 <brucewilliamfolliott@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca>... User unknown
ordered deletion of task file from scheduler memory (13113-10396)

The far send sends a message which in part says:

<<< RCPT To:<brucewilliamfolliott@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca> ORCPT=rfc822;brucewilliamfolliott@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca
550 <brucewilliamfolliott@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca>... User unknown
421 maildrop.srv.ualberta.ca Lost input channel from scapa.cs.ualberta.ca [129.128.4.44]